8.22.2007

Lessons learned


Nearly 300 hours of bike time and many sleepless nights went into an attempted peak for this year's Subaru Cup. Physically I was strong and felt ready to bring it. I rode the course on Saturday morning with Isaiah and began to pray that the rain would hold out for the day. Don built a perfect course, and the conditions pre-rain were awesome. I loved all the climbing and felt this kind of race was suited to me.


I felt a sinking feeling during my warm-up as I watched the Elites come by looking more dirty by the lap. I knew that a brand new trail system would not hold up well to a mud race. And it didn't.


I had a good start and sat third behind Ben and Jerry (not the ice cream guys). I held this position uncontested until we hit the East Trace section. None of this portion of the trail was rideable by now and I completely lost my cool. Running, mounting, dismounting, kicking the pedals, screaming, ready to throw my bike. 3 singlespeeders passed me during this tantrum and by the time I regained my composure it was too late to catch them. I was at least able to make a race of it with James Huber. We rode most of laps 2 and 3 together, and in the end I put 20 secs on him that he couldn't close. I am still pissed at myself for racing for 6th when I was ready for the top three. I just wasn't mentally prepared for this kind of race, it was a learning experience. No matter how strong I am I'm still a noob and this season is for learning.


It turns out Sheri was right about the camper purchase. The weekend would have been 5 times more miserable had it not been for the shelter of the camper. Now I only hope this mudfest didn't sour relations with the Nordic Mt. people. I am looking forward to racing this course for many years to come as it has to be the best in the series, maybe a tie with the Sheboygan course. Thanks to Alexis and her horde of poncho wearing friends. Don couldn't have pulled this one off without her.

1 comment:

the_drake said...

we were camping also and yes it did suck, cold and rainy.
we were gonna drop in on your race but i ended up having to work sunday afternoon, so we packed up early and headed home.
we were camping in redgranite about 35 miles west of oshkosh.
as far as racing, you made it alot further than i would have gone. I would have dropped out the frist lap of the first race.

J