3.07.2008

The Power of Jebez

I've got two months experience now in training with a power meter, and I'm still not sure if it helps any more than having a plastic Jesus glued to my handlebar would. It would have been quite a bit more affordable to write "You are slow" on a piece of masking tape and put it on the bar. In 8 weeks I could have replaced it with one that says, "You are still slow".

I joke of course (but not about being slow). A wannabe expert such as myself might be separated from my competitors by a whole lot more than the fractions of 1% that training with power might help overcome; but that doesn't mean it isn't a useful tool. With a real job and a busy family life, it does really help to make the most of the time that I have to spend on the bike. That is what success in racing is all about right? Power and efficiency? I can say one thing for sure, the added dimension that the wattage data adds to your workout makes stationary training a MUCH more bearable experience. I don't have any good numbers from outside yet since I've been riding other bikes with more disposable parts outside this winter. I can sit spinning at 200watts pretty much forever in the basement now at a E2ish 145bpm effort, but I don't really have anything to reference that to. I haven't established my zones yet, but I think my power to weight ratio is something like: slow/fat. I am hoping by July the roads will be cleaned up enough to take it outside and get some good data.

1 comment:

The Shed Master said...

A plastic Jesus will not help. What you need is a Jesus made of abalone shell. That'll make you faster, as well as 1 step closer to Heaven.