10.05.2008

Sunday! Sunday! and uh.. Saturday.

I had to use this shot of Sheri's since it catches me in action passing the only guy I beat all weekend. Note the gut. I'm hauling that around for resistance training to make me stronger in late November. The hairy legs are serving the same purpose.

Not only was I fat and slow, but I had issues with the bike all weekend. In the Cat 3 race at Cam-rock on Saturday I rolled a tire. Sir Walls was kind enough to lend his pit wheels so that I could take advantage of the 5 dollar second race and get creamed by the masters. Today I broke a shoe again warming up. Next my bars started slipping thanks to my custom Pilgrim cable hanger. I decided that it wasn't worth knocking my teeth out only to get my ass kicked again. While trying to flee the scene a bunch of fast guys asked me why I didn't just shim the damn thing. I don't know why I hadn't thought of that. I can say that one's resourcefulness with respect to keeping the bike race ready is compromised some when it is known that the body isn't race ready either. Jerry, Rick, Russell and Jeremy helped get the bike going while I suited up again. Thanks guys for the help. This weekend was like having my own pit crew, with every crew member being faster than me. The Wisco race scene is the mostest. I missed my start but at least I caught up to and passed the girls before I got pulled. It made for some good Andy Kaufman style racing. The Lapham course is much more fun when wet, and the steep run up was a big improvement over last year's course. If I keep it up I should be much more comfortable on the bike by the next round of WCA races.

On Saturday Sheri couldn't stop talking about what she wants in a CX bike and thinking about trying a race. By today's race she was full on obsessed. I won't be surprised if she buys a bike tomorrow and races in the mud at Badger Prairie and Gibbs Lake. I tell you Mountain Biking is a gateway drug.

No comments: