6.30.2008

WEMS weekend

Jesus didn't want us to go to the WEMS race this past weekend. But we said screw that hippy. The Hypocrite wagon broke down on us on the way home from Suamico last week. Luckily we had 350 miles left until our warranty expired so the fix was 300% cheaper than the cost of the tow back to Madison. Thursday when we picked it up it promptly broke on us again, so we spent our Friday waiting for the truck when we should have been on the road.

Evil prevailed and we arrived at LT Friday night just in time to catch a pre-ride with some Chainsmokers. Sheri promptly assumed the registration duties which continued all weekend. When she finds a dropped ball she likes to run after it, spike it and dance. Props.

Race day. Lots of fast people showed up for the SS race so I was starting to wonder about my top 10 chances. Slow start. I haven't ran since last August save for a few sets of barriers in November, so the Le mans start had me feeling goofier and slower than I already am. I hopped on the bike close to the back of the pack then passed 6 or 8 guys in the first couple of miles. I then rode most of the race leap frogging with Roger from Muddy Cup. Through the entire first lap and part of the second, I would power past him in the open areas and on climbs then he would go by me in the twisty stuff. At the start of the second lap, Roger said something to me like "if you had some bike handling skills to go with that big motor, you would be(something flattering that I forgot)". I took that to mean that I was riding the singletrack like a wuss, so I stopped being such a wuss, eased off the brakes, and kept him behind me for the rest of the race. He stayed close until the switchback climbs up to the Levis top out. I stood up and jammed with him 20 yards back or so, and heard him blow apart like a General Motors product. He said something admitting defeat and when I looked back he was walking. I didn't want to screw this up so I kept laying it on thick for the rest of the race. In the end I really wanted another lap and felt I could have caught one or two more. 11th place behind some pros and fast guys ain't so bad, but it was again a learning experience. I learned not to be so damned lazy in the singletrack, and not to make Roger's mistake. If you tell a competitor he sucks, he will try harder not to suck and kick your ass in the end.

Rowan took a solid 4th place in the under 6 year old 1/4mile Solo class. He is so ready to lose the training wheels. I think we will give it a good shot over the long weekend at Eau Claire. Sheri rode the 3 hour race at a social pace but crashed her bike hard enough to spew hydralic fluid and fork oil all over it. That crash earned her a nice brake upgrade to the Magura Martas and a rigid carbon fork. The Vassago is rigid again too until Hayes fixes the noisy dampener problem. I was louder than the gearies out at Levis with that fork. Lots of racin' action to come and everyone is feeling fine.

It was a very cool event and a good time. I like the WEMS scene. Drinking beer and laughing at the guys packing up their cars like zombies after 12 hour solos is fun. I think I just about made a couple of guys sick while flipping over my kabobs as they were staggering around sipping gingerly on juicy juice.

3 comments:

Bruce said...

Way to go Kerry! Good to see you are getting back where you belong.

Bruce

amelia said...

tag, you're it. check my blog.

amelia said...

sheri should answer too :P