7.25.2008

Bear Left, Right Frog

I’ll be racing at night for the first time at 24-9 next week as a duo with Peter C. When I registered us in May, I laughed when the confirmation page said “championship” on it. Everything is coming together for these next couple of weeks though. Over several night rides at QR, I have the lights dialed. Riding fast, alone at night with an iPod full of crazy shit is pretty awesome. The lights seem to accent strange features of the trail and the trees. I keep thinking that I am running over frogs that are sitting right in the middle of the trail. The first time it happened, I nearly crashed trying to avoid squishing the poor frog. It might have been a rock doing its best frog impersonation. I did not stop to investigate.Everything was flowing perfectly in the dark last night. Only my lousy ass, noisy juicy 7s were interrupting the flow. I will try the Strokers tonight since Sheri stole the Martas. The legs feel mighty good right now also. Standing up and mashing up climbs feels effortless. I wonder how long that will last. I have firmed up my decision to race as an expert starting this weekend. I won’t come in last and I won’t be killing any dreams. In that respect it will be just like racing Comp SS, but with one more lap and much less passing. Other than that I have no idea what it will be like. It feels like the right time, and a 36x19 feels like the right choice to climb those CR switchbacks in the up direction 5 times.

No comments: