9.25.2007

Dan pt. 2

Dan was born in a 56' Chevy pickup and has oil coursing through his veins. We got into it yesterday as he claimed he was nearly killed by a cyclist when he tried to go around him and nearly hit oncoming traffic. I told him his opinion was the problem as it caused impatience and affected his judgement behind the wheel. Today he handed me this letter, I think he spent all morning on it.

-OPINION+PROPOSAL-


As you already know, I believe that bicyclists are a danger to both themselves and the motorists trying to avoid them. Cyclists are banned from roadways such as the beltline and the freeway for obvious reasons. The best scenario within which cyclists may ride is demonstrated by the bike path along HWY 12 where they path is seperated from the roadway by greenspace. This limits the potential for conflict. Happy and safe cyclists and motorists.Cyclists could never be allowed to operate on the typical country roads where there is no path or shoulder wide enough to effectively separate them from much higher speed vehicles. In fact, without HWY 12 - like green separation, without a path or wide shoulder I would eliminate cycling from roads in excess of 35 MPH posted limits. Anything over that and the closing speeds are too high for safety considering that many cyclists are not paying attention to ther "line" drifting back and forth and even riding abreast as I have encounterd many times. Even conciencious(sp) motorists have trouble dealing with such erratic behavior. Especially when avoidance may mean unintended conflicts with oncoming two lane traffic.In the city, have at it. On rare occasion when I'm downdown or near the U, most cyclists I've observed, don't follow traffic rules anyway, I.E. stoplights and signs, ETC. I don't go downtown much so, let the city decide. I could care less.In closing, as a motorist, I pay fuel taxes which pay for roads and their maintenance. I understand most cyclists also own cars and through that fuel use pay road taxes. However, they are not paying when cycling. In no stretch of logic should the "rights" of cyclists take precedence over motorists. Only at the expense of all motorists are most bike paths constructed. I don't see any fees on cycling building better, safer roads for motorists, use what your given.

Look out for this guy. He is the one honking and yelling at you as you do your cruise intervals down Seminole. He also might have a small penis.

No comments: