10.09.2007

Season Finale

I should be most happy with my first WORS season. I should have lost my 2nd place series spot, but in keeping with how the rest of my season has been, showing up was enough. I would have liked at least one Comp podium before grabbing that plaque, but seemingly I didn't want one bad enough.

With the holeshot preem in place, the start was crazy ape shit fast. Of the 21 singlespeeders that showed up, I was probably 4th or 5th into the woods. All stayed good and fast until we got to the quarry side towards the end of the 1st lap. Just ahead on the flat sections after the river I could see the stars and hearts of James Lalonde up ahead. I'm am pretty sure Casey and Jerry were with him so I pounded it down trying to close on them knowing that was the front of our race. I got within 20 yards of them and then popped in a huge way just before the stairway climb. It took me until after the feed zone and into the singletrack of the second lap to recover. By now I was getting passed by a handful, as I was too deep in debt and doubt to care. I was cursing the 36x17, an 18 would have been perfect. The sweet, fast, and rooted cornering of this course brought me back to life though and I got into a groove at my own pace. Just as I found this groove I came up on Erich Ponath trying to repair a flat. I knew I had to put at least 2 riders in between us to keep my series placing so I was pumped again. While I was mostly in no-man's-land, I did go back and forth some with Joel Coon which was fun. On the roots that are no longer evil, he dabbed and I nailed it, never seeing him again. In the last lap I passed three more of the single speeders that had passed me when I popped, and I lapped Erich. That felt nice since I knew it sealed up my standing, plus I haven't been able to get that dude to say 2 words to me. Coming up the Equalizer the last time the smoking guy told me another SS was 5 seconds ahead. "Go get him!!" So I nailed it again trying to close before the finish. When I came up on him it was Aaron Brandt. I'm guessing he bonked trying to catch the front since he just waved me by right before the sand pit. It was a fine finish and probably my best performance since 9-mile. Here are the results.
Sheri had her first race at Sheboygan also, and took third in her age group. At least I have her and Rowan to pick up the slack and bring home some hardware. Saturday she doubted she could do 2 laps, now she wants to train hard all winter and is dreaming of big wheels and fillet brazed frames.

No comments: