10.13.2007

Tired bikes

Rather than have a CX double-header weekend, we decided to have a relaxing day today with a family ride. So we load up Rowan in the trailer close to nap time and head out toward Verona. I took the Kona since I had just installed the FU-bar and pitchfork, and wanted to take this opportunity to shake it down with a quick lap at Quarry Ridge. About 2 miles from home I hear a severe gobbling during one part of the rotation on the rear rotor under heavy braking. WTF? I look down and 4 of the 6 bolts are gone, with the last 2 on the way out. Bizarre. I installed this rotor like 7 races ago with locktite and torqued to spec. No problems. Now all the bolts fall out just cruising down the bike path? So we turn around and head home. I trade the limping Kona for the Cross bike which was ready to rock for racin' action tommorow.

On the bike path almost into Fitchburg a couple of ULBs (unsupervised little bastards) were working hard on destroying what was left of their neighborhood. They had what looked like skateboard ramp in the middle of the bike path. I'm down with that. However, they had enhanced the run up to the ramp with probably a half dozen freshly broken beer bottles and drug a small tree across the bike path. 2 or 3 of the ULBs were brave enough to stand their ground as we negotiated their urban pitfalls and I cussed at them to clean this shit up. There were like 6 more kids hiding in the bushes over the left about 30 yards. If I weren't such a narrow assed white boy wearing tap shoes, I would have marched those snotters right up to their crack pipe wielding excuses for parents.

We made it down to Badger Prairie park and it looks like it should be a fun venue. My ratio should work well since I rode the place trying to remember the map of the course I had seen. There is a good sized playground almost right in the middle of the course so Rowan should have plenty to do. On the way home I decided to burn a quick lap of QR with the cross bike. For some reason the quarry is being pumped out or something, and the parking lot and trailhead are flooded. Jumped on the doubletrack to start up top and it was big fun. The washed-out off-camber downhill has been re-routed and is a much better and more fun section of trail. On the quick right hand sweeper on the bottom of the short rocky climb I crashed the bike hard, flatting the rear tire and beating up my swanky record levers. So I got to walk to the gas station as Sheri hammered it home with Rowan in tow. Some fun, two broke bikes, 60deg cool temps.

No comments: