2.29.2008

Daze off at home

Rowan is sick again, (at least his body is sick, Rowan hardly notices) so I spent the last two days at home with him. It is fun in a mope-around-the-house-in-your-scooby-pants kind of way. The only thing he will let me do other than actively play with him is hang out downstairs with the bikes. He likes being down there and he likes playing with tools. As evidenced by the time he nearly removed my brake rotor while I worked on another bike.

It is becoming increasingly difficult to "hang out" with the bikes anymore though. With the days getting longer, and March being tomorrow and all; it feels like the bikes are twitching or humming. This humming is at some odd frequency that allows me to do nothing but pace back and forth and drink pots of coffee while dreaming of fluffy dirt. It is nearly as intense as spending 48 hours locked in the house with a rowdy 4 year old. In the case of the 4 year old, I can only play trains with him or pile all the blankets and pillows on top the cat, laughing it up (Moonkee is quite tolerant of our bullshit). In the case of the bikes, there isn't much left that I can do. The Kona, my main SS race bike, sits ready to explode. All she needs are those final squirts of brake fluid and Stan's before the first dirty weekend. Sheri's new bike parts are multiplying and mumbling amongst themselves about glitter and gear ratios. The rest of the bikes that aren't gainfully employed lurk in terror, fearing that another caffeine induced franken-bike session might break out. At least we are due for some snow-eating rain this weekend. Even letting loose on a bike path without worry of cracking my ass on an ice patch would be a welcomed change.

No comments: